The Role of the Parent-Coach Advocate:
The Parent-Coach Advocate will be readily available to the Parents and Coaches of the St. Charles Sports Program. This program has been implemented to avoid or intercept any conflicts that may arise between coaches and parents and we will try to adequately resolve the issue at hand. What we want to avoid is when communication stops between parties and animosity develops and then we have a bigger issue. The goal of the advocate team is not to take sides, but to gather the details and have an open discussion of the current situation at hand. We all must remind ourselves we not only represent our parish, our sports program, our community, our families, but most importantly our children. Also CYO has implemented a new suspension policy of 30-day suspension no questions asked with additional disciplinary action from the program if necessary.
It is important that we establish guidelines and expectations for times when a parent of an athlete wants to work out an issue with their team’s coach. It is part of our approach to be open to conversations and to encourage working through problems. Below are some guidelines.
LEVELS OF COMMUNICATION:
1. LEVEL 1: PLAYER-INITIATED CONVERSATION
a. First level is the athlete or coach involved approaches the coach or player on his or her own and starts a conversation.
b. We believe player to coach is the most effective and efficient means to solve these types of problems.
c. It also teaches athletes to always advocate for themselves down the road.
2. LEVEL 2: PARENT COMMUNICATES WITH COACH
a. If the athlete or coach still continues to see an issue we ask the coach or parent to try and discuss the matter with each other.
b. After the meeting with coach or parent if the issue continues we ask the coach or parent to proceed to level 3 below.
3. LEVEL 3: PARENT EMAIL TO PARENT COACH ADVOCATE email@example.com
a. If conflicts are not able to be resolved at Level 1, and Level 2 then we encourage coaches or parents to reach out to parent coach advocate.
If after Level 2 the issue continues please do not approach the coach or parent again.
WE ASK ALL COACHES AND PARENTS NOT TO INITIATE A SECOND CONVERSATION WITH EACH OTHER:
All communications should come through the Parent-Coach Advocate email. This procedure is in place to avoid any emotional exchanges between coach and parent.
a. We make it a policy to ask the coach or parent in these situations to send an email to (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a detail explanation of the issue and request a meeting be set up to discuss.
2. The Parent-Coach Advocate will respond to the email within 24 hours and will set up a time for a phone conversation.
3. At this time the Parent-Coach Advocate will advise with our Sports Director and discuss the next step.
4. If the issue is something occurring at practice the Parent-Coach Advocate or Sports Director will attend a practice unannounced and watch the practice.
5. After the issue at hand has been reviewed the Parent-Coach Advocate will proceed to level 4.
4. LEVEL 4: PARENT-COACH ADVOCATE WILL MEET WITH COACH OR PARENT
Parent Coach Advocate, Sports Director, and Coach will sit down to discuss the issue at hand. We are hopeful at this point the issue will most likely be resolved. If not we will have a meeting with all parties to see if we can reach a common ground to defuse the issue.